This Neck Hammock Gives Me the Relief of an Hour of Acupuncture

Photograph: Courtesy of the retailer.

Years ago, I threw my back out twice in one month. Once while loading the last of many boxes of books into a U-Booty, and again a few weeks later (one time I thought I was healed) while folding a lightweight sweater. Since then, I've lived in fear of a lower dorsum spasm. So when I saw the Neck Hammock on a friend'southward Instagram story (and his purely joyful expression in a series of suspended selfies), I DMed him for more than information and called one in to try.

My showtime time using the Neck Hammock was easy. All I did was hang the strap on the doorknob (I have the newer, sewn-in version rather than the ane with the clip), get comfortable on the footing, and lay the back of my head into information technology. I tried a few different heights during that kickoff session — the higher off the ground, the more intense the stretch — before settling at around three inches above the floor. I felt immediately relaxed, like I could melt into the ground Savasana-way. I may have dozed off with my toy poodle curled on top of me. It was like napping while floating, the manner being in water tin sometimes lull you to sleep. What I didn't expect simply establish out after more than apply, was how chop-chop it would relieve a headache, how refreshed I would feel after but a few minutes, how it would improve my mood, and how I would look frontward to using information technology every day.

The Neck Hammock bills itself as a cervical traction device, which is a fancier mode of saying information technology works past stretching the vertebrae forth the neck. I decided to evaluate its claims by calling an expert. "Information technology's a gentle stretching which helps to elongate the spine and separate the vertebrae to allow the discs to take some space and room. Information technology tin can also have pressure off the nervus roots that are exiting out of the vertebrae and can help to stretch some of the muscles in that area, every bit well," explained Dr. Christopher Chocolate-brown, a licensed chiropractor at Align Brooklyn. If I had any doubts that it was doing anything, Dr. Brown confirmed that the Cervix Hammock is an effective mode to relax the spine and musculature. "It allows for complete cervical relaxation, not quite equally much traction or decompressive force as others, but you lot will accept an opening of disc-space and nervus-space, taking any kind of pressure off the nerves." Like whatsoever good doctor, Dr. Brownish did note that it's a good idea to seek professional help earlier trying one of these at domicile.

Consider me sold. I'm a superfan of acupuncture and the mini-high I go from the Neck Hammock is similar to that of an hr-long acupuncture session. I feel the same increased connection to my body and this is a little crazy, only my vision feels clearer when I do it, too. On the days that I use the Neck Hammock I even take an easier time falling asleep. The best role is that it'south portable and comes with its own little drawstring carrying bag, meaning I tin can bring it dwelling for the holidays when I'grand sure to be stressed and cranky from also much sugar, lack of exercise, and a bed that's not my own.

The Neck Hammock™ 2.0 - The Original Portable Cervical Traction and Relaxation Device
Posture Pump POS1100S Cervical Disc Hydrator

This creates traction on the cervix via an inflatable pillow you control with your hand.

Tata Harper All-Natural Aromatic Stress Treatment

Photo: Courtesy of the vendor, Getty Images

Aromatherapy then good it's like a Klonopin in olfactory property course; read more about it here.

Dr. Teal's Therapeutic Solutions Epsom Salt in Lavender

A time-honored solution for achey muscles and washing abroad the twenty-four hour period's stress, with relaxing lavender.

HyperIce Vyper - 3 Speed Vibrating Foam Roller for Muscles

A side by side-level cream roller that vibrates for deep muscle relief.

The Strategist is designed to surface the most useful, expert recommendations for things to buy beyond the vast eastward-commerce landscape. Some of our latest conquests include the best acne treatments , rolling luggage , pillows for side sleepers , natural anxiety remedies , and bath towels . Nosotros update links when possible, but note that deals can expire and all prices are subject to change.

Every editorial product is independently selected. If you lot buy something through our links, New York may earn an affiliate commission.

This Cervix Hammock Feels Almost Similar an Hour of Acupuncture